Apr 1, 2009

"Merry Christmas!" Britney Spears Circus Tour Review Part II



Note #1- If you missed part one of my Britney Spears Circus Tour review, be sure to click here.

Note #2- Let me just say right off that this is going to be long and I probably should've broken the review into three parts, but hopefully I've kept it interesting enough that you won't notice the length. :) (that's what she said, ha!) Also, be sure to click "read more" for the full review...it's a new feature I'm using.

And if you read nothing else, READ THE END, because it's all about me. *grin*


So where we? Oh, yes....watching the most amazing performer ever descend onto the stage at the Verizon Center in DC! Yes, she lip synced but I really didn't care. Britney dazzles you so much with her dance moves, props, costumes, lights, etc. that you don't even notice.

Besides, there was plenty of "real" singing from everyone in the crowd. I am proud to say I knew and sang every word to every song and danced right along to it all too.

Which is how I ended up with videos like these:





Singing and dancing while filming "If U Seek Amy"




Britney performing "Piece of Me" while I danced and filmed...not a good combo.


This one's a little bit better, but my camera chopped up the sound when I zoomed in and out (which you'll notice in other videos as well):



One of the most absolute coolest effects EVER, IMO, had to be the indoor thunderstorm just before "Radar." Here's the video, but you really had to be there to see just how amazing it was:



Indoor thunderstorm segue....watch as Britney pops up in the center of the stage.


Then there were the incredible magic tricks. Here's a close-up of one:



Britney being "cut in half" while performing "Ooh Ooh Baby."


And the props were so unique and simply gorgeous:



Britney performing "Freakshow" and "Get Naked (I Got a Plan)" amid my favorite stage design


Even the segues were mind-blowing. Britney changes costumes several times throughout the show (which I LOVE), and she made sure no one would be bored while she did so. I'm going to share a couple of the segues from VideosbyJT since he got really good shots of them.

This segue is set to Marilyn Manson's cover of the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams are Made of These" (his is titled "Everybody's Looking for Something") and it is HOT, HOT, HOT!! You have to watch this one, I am telling you!



And then there was this one set to "Break the Ice:"



Did you catch the infamous Madonna/Britney kiss in there?


Another segue I loved was the "Dancer Solo Segue" where dancers came out and performed to songs by Michael Jackson, Estelle, Rihanna and more. This one was actually performed live on stage, but this video (from jomademoiselle) shows them on the jumbotron:



As for the costumes, Britney wore a completely different one for "I'm a Slave 4 U" after her wardrobe malfunction in Tampa:



Photo courtesy of JustJared.com


Nothing "hanging out" in DC!

It's hard for me to pick a favorite costume, but if I had to pick just one, it would probably be the Bollywood one:



Britney performing "Me Against the Music" Bollywood style


It was during the Bollywood theme that Britney surprised the audience with "Everytime," a song that was not on her official set list. I think that's significant and let me explain why.

It's rumored that "Everytime" was written about Justin Timberlake. And it's rumored that Justin's "Cry Me a River" was written about Britney. In the video for "Cry Me a River," Justin is standing in the rain, upset over the break-up. In "Everytime," Britney sings, "I may have made it rain. Please forgive me."

So the fact that this song was set apart from the others by not being on the set list, and that Britney performs it while sitting on the handle of a giant umbrella, to me, is VERY symbolic. Come on, Justin! Forgive her already!



Britney talks to the crowd before performing "Everytime."


Now for the biggest buzz to come out of the DC show....."Merry Christmas!" Yes, Britney did indeed yell "Merry Christmas" to the audience while performing "Do Something." My video doesn't even have that part, but it still has over 1,000 views....crazy!

You can click here to see my video if you'd like, but here's one from MissBritneySpearsTV that shows her shouting out the greeting (around 50 seconds in):



Some people *cough* Perez Hilton *cough* have tried to use the "Merry Christmas" greeting against Britney, saying it's a sign of her being crazy. In her defense, let me set the record straight.

First of all, this is supposed to be a "freakshow" circus. There were friggin deer heads on the big screen for crying out loud. Saying something that made no sense made perfect sense in that kind of setting. Especially since she was singing, "I see you looking at me like I'm some kind of freak."

Secondly, someone pointed out in the comments on my video that Britney had not been to that side of the stage very much. So she was greeting the crowd as in, "Hey there! I'm finally here!"

Crazy? No. "You say I'm crazy? I got your crazy!" Perfect lyrics to the likes of those who are attacking her for this.

Moving on....the biggest crowd reactions came at three different points. The opening, the finale, and here:



The crowd went crazy when they realized Britney was about to perform her classic hit, "Baby One More Time."


About that finale. Just wow:



More crowd craze as Britney performs "Womanizer" during the finale. Listen as everyone sings along too...and watch as I ruin another video with my dancing.


And then...the crowning touch. An amazing curtain of fire surrounds the stage as the show ends:



Along with insane amounts of confetti:



I never wanted the show to end. If I could, I would fly to every show she does just to relive it again and again. It was truly the best concert I've ever been to in my life!



As if that weren't enough, though, what happened to me after we left ended up making this one of the best nights in my entire life, too. The picture requests continued non-stop. I posed with so many awesome people, including a really cool guy in a top hat.

Heads turned everywhere we walked. Non-stop compliments. One girl just stared at me with her jaw dropped and watched me as I walked, while her friend yelled, "You are the sh*t!" (have you read my cockiness disclaimer by the way? lol)

I seriously didn't know how to act or what to do with myself. I felt like a friggin superstar with all eyes on me. It was so surreal, I just can't even begin to explain.

And then? And then? Are you ready for the best part? People started calling me...ME...Britney! *faint*

At one point, I heard a girl - who had to be drunk or delusional because....really? Me?! - yell hystericaly far behind me, "OH MY GOSH, IT'S BRITNEY!!!!" And then silence ensued as someone probably said, "Umm..stupid...it's just a blonde in a circus costume." (She was the only one who actually thought I really was Britney and she was FAR behind me...my jacket was also almost an exact replica of the one worn by Britney in the opening. That was not planned, btw.)

But left and right from non-delusional people I got, "Hey, hey, Britney!" (one guy said with a wink), "Check you out, Britney!" and on and on. I was in Britney Heaven!!!

You already know about the group of girls we ran into who labeled me "the circus b*tch." Another group of people said I should wear the costume at Halloween and announce, "It's Britney, b*tch!"

I think I may just do that!



No comments: